Thursday, August 11, 2011

Swiss Roll Graduation Scroll Cake



This was a delicious cake, I made one for the graduation and one for us.  
I have always been curious about swiss rolls, and it seriously delivered.  
For the scroll to feed enough people, I doubled the recipe.  Thick Chocolate ganache filled the roll and also covered the roll beneath the fondant.  


How do you roll it? I included a video I found helpful click on the link below  
I hope you enjoy 


Ingredients
  • 6 large eggs, at room temperature, separated
  • 6 TBS fine granulated sugar 
  • 6 heaping TBS fine white flour
  • Dash salt

How to make it
  • Preheat oven to 450°.
  • Prepare a  parchment-lined cookie pan with raised edges.
  • In a large greaseless bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry.
  • While still beating, add the sugar tablespoon by tablespoon.
  • Continue to beat while adding the yolks one by one.
  • Add the salt and flour and continue to beat only until combined.
  • Pour into parchment-lined pan with edges (cookie sheet can work fine here).
  • Cover loosely with foil (it should not touch the batter) and bake in lower part of oven for 10 minutes only
  • While baking, prepare a large clean tea towel by spreading it on a flat surface and sprinkling it lightly with powdered sugar.
  • Remove foil and brown for 2 further minutes. Don't let it get too brown!
  • Turn hot cake out onto clean parchment (or clean tea towel) and pull off the old parchment paper gently.
  • Okay here is personal preference I immediately added the chocolate and rolled up, but some people like to roll and chill, unroll and then fill and re roll.   If I were adding whipped cream I would cool first and re roll.  
  • Roll the towel up loosely and allow the cake to cool in this rolled position.
  • When cool, unroll and fill with any of the following:
  • Lemon curd, chocolate cream, whipped cream and fresh fruit, sweetened cream cheese or Chantilly cream, chopped cherries and nuts in vanilla filling, or chocolate like me.
  • Chill until serving; slice in about 1 1/2" slices and turn onto plate to serve.




Here is the video, I did use a large rolling pin to start it and I wrapped in the new parchment to get nice and formed as they did here (I don't like using tea towels) 



1 comment:

  1. Great Information sharing .. I am very happy to read this article .. thanks for giving us go through info.Fantastic nice. I appreciate this post. giant eagle cakes

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails